Monday, November 24, 2008

Letter to...

Do I even know your name?
Yet I fear you!
Do you know mine?
Yet you scurry away
Every time you see me
Trying to get to you

You do not know my language –
I can’t even learn yours.
The only way we could talk
Is through the glitter of our eyes
But can you look into my eyes?
Cause I’m reading fear in yours

Let’s then speak the language of love
I’m told we all can speak it
And perfect love drives out fear
You won’t need to shy away

But will you give me a chance to love you?
Will you speak in love with me?
Because even if I love you
It’s your choice to receive it…
…or to throw my love away

I see you stretched on the rocks,
Basking in the Sun
I wish I would lie next to you
I wish we could talk…

I see you when I go for lunch
And as I scan the halls of academia
And many times I’m worried…
…worrying because I’m wanting:
(I want education, balance, progress…
…cars, cash, candy – and so much more)

I wish I had your life – simple yet complex!
Simple in that it lacks the complexities of wanting
Complex in that it is far too simple
I wish my needs were few, like you:
Air, food, and water!
(Really – isn’t that all I need)
Love removes boundaries.
But what if they are invisible?
What if the confines are hidden?

Let us face our differences
Let us search out the basis of our fears
Let us see the boundaries
And allow love to remove them

From the first day I saw you
I tried to guess your name
I said “maybe you’re a hyrax”
But I really wasn’t sure

Are you “Hyrax”?

Will your eyes ever tell me your name?
Will I ever peep into you, and see the beauty of your soul?

Why did we have to be different?
You a hyrax – me a man!
Wouldn’t it be better if we all were the same?

NO! It strikes me now as truth:
“The beauty of our Universe lies in its diversity”

Whence the Hyrax?
The same power that brought you brought me…
For the same reasons we live…
And the same beauty we all contain…
The same God gives meaning to both our lives…
…however different they are!

Letter to...
---
...a Hyrax at Daystar!!

No comments: